Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Justified by Faith



“But we know that God accepts only those who have faith in Jesus Christ. No one can please God by simply obeying the Law. So we put our faith in Christ Jesus, and God accepted us because of our faith.” (Galatians 2:16, CEV)

I am not forgiven of my sins because I repented. I am justified (made righteous) by my faith in Jesus Christ because of His payment for my sins upon the cross.  He paid the price for all my sins, past, future and present.  Not that I may now freely sin, but knowing that when I do (and all humans will sin) the payment for restoration with God has already been made.

It is not baptism that brings remission of sins, but faith in the Lord Jesus and the all-sufficiency of the sacrifice He made upon the cross on my behalf. My punishment for sin was borne by another, the very Son of God.   

I am not justified by repentance.
I am not justified by baptism.
I am not justified by confession of sin.
I am not justified by the laying on of hands.
I am not justified by righteous living.
I am not justified by being as good as I possibly can be.
I am not justified by the things I do, say, think or speak. 

I am justified by faith in the Lord Jesus and His atonement upon the cross when He forfeited His life for mine upon the cross and received in full the punishment for all my sins.

“I have been nailed to the cross with Christ. I have died, but Christ lives in me. And I now live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave his life for me. I don’t turn my back on God’s gift of undeserved grace. If we can be acceptable to God by obeying the law, it was useless for Christ to die.” (Galatians 2:19b-21, CEV)


  
Copyright 2014 Kathy Sanders

No comments:

Post a Comment